TRIPAWDS: Home to 19826 Members and 1995 Blogs.

Tripawds Supporter sites have no ads!

Leading up to the start of our journey

Tripawds is a user-supported community. Thank you for your support!

Ceira’s journey technically started April 2018, 2 1/2 years ago. We took her in to the veterinarian because she was having a slight limp.  We were worried because she had fallen through a layer of ice that had covered the snow overnight. While they were checking her out they discovered a lump on her leg, around the wrist area. They did a biopsy on it and that’s when our world started to change. Hemangiosarcoma was the diagnosis.

We did x-rays and ultrasounds to see if it had spread and affected her organs at all yet. All was clear so we had two options on how to treat her. Amputation was the recommended choice by the vet.  Her other option was to do a debulking and see if she could remove most of the tumor. Since we were told that she only had about six months to a year with us, we opted for option two, the debulking.  We did not want to do an amputation, have her go through the major operation and recovery only to lose her a couple months later. We wanted to try and keep the quality of life that she had to the end.
Well our little princess surpassed all expectations.
Fast forward to November 2020, she’s limping really bad now. The lump has regrown and become quite large (size of small palm). Back to the vet.  She wants to see if it’s just the swelling that’s hurting her and maybe pinching a nerve. If it’s not due to swelling and it’s more than that she really recommends amputation at this point. So she puts her on an anti-inflammatory for a week (then as needed) and pain medication for the month.
After two weeks we noticed it hasn’t made a huge difference. It has helped but not enough, so the talks start about amputation. We have the x-rays and the ultrasound re-done and blood work done to check the state of her health. Happy to know that once again nothing has spread. Her spleen is courser, which means it’s been more active which is not uncommon with this type of tumor. She has issues with her gallbladder that will have to be addressed in a months time.  Her kidneys are starting to do degenerate, and she has a lump on her lymph node on her throat.  Except for the gallbladder these are small issues that you typically find in a dog of 11 1/2 years old we are told.
Next step…surgery.

To remove ads from your site and others, upgrade to a Tripawds Supporter blog!

4 thoughts on “Leading up to the start of our journey”

  1. Oh my gosh I just talked to someone on the Tripawds Helpline with an identical story, it could have been you!

    Amputation isn’t an easy decision to reach but once you go through with the procedure and see how relieved Ceira is, you’ll feel the same way. Whatever we can do to help you during recovery and beyond, just bark ok? We are here for you.

  2. Hi, I just joined this Tripawd group and I read your story! This gives me some hope where I thought I had none! I am not sure how to start a subject yet (A bit technically challenged) but thank you so much for your post. We removed our pup Presley’s right hind leg exactly 4 weeks ago. Finally got the pathology report back and they found it was hemangiosarcoma. It ended up at the top of her femor, in her bone. The prognosis is 4-6 months. She will be turning 2 on April 1st. Can I ask you, did you do chemo or anything? Thank you!

    1. I’m so sorry to hear about Presley, and so young. Our orignal diagnosis was hemangiosarcoma. The pathology report after the operation took almost 5 weeks. We were blessed to have the report come back as just a hemangioma. With the complete removal of the leg we should be lucky enough to have her for another little while. However before surgery, we had decided that whatever the outcome we would not be doing chemo or radiation. Ceira is also 11 1/2 years old. It’s not an easy decision but hopefully in the chat forum you can connect with someone that has a younger dog and has been through it. Just remember that it is a very personally choice and there is no right or wrong answer. It’s whatever is right for you, your family and Presley. I wish you all the best.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Ceira's journey is brought to you by Tripawds.

Tripawds Supporter sites have no ads!